A month ago, I said that I'll give a talk (with crowell (super-cool guy by the way.)) at the recon, in Montreal; and so did I. You can find the slides here, and I'll update this blogpost once the video is available on the internet.
It was a thrilling experience to speak in front of something like 350 persons, most of them being super-pro at reverse engineering (and IDA Pro fans).
We had (surprisingly) a lot of positive feedback about it, the only negative one was that my voice was super-monotonic; super-sorry about this, lesson learned, I promise! Let's blame the stress and the jet-lag ;)
I'd like to thank the REcon team for inviting me and paying for the hotel and plane.
It was a really cool con, and I met a lot of great people; maybe we'll do a training about radare2 there next year? Who knows.
Some random notes:
- Undo is an overrated feature, sorry david. Also, I hope that you'll manage to attract contributors in your garage :)
- There was a thermos and a towel in the recon welcome package :D (I also brought back way too many things back, including 2L (or 68oz) of maple syrup for my coworker who promised that they'll kill me if I didn't.)
- I'm sorry Stefan, but this was too tempting (and super-sorry for butchering your name).
- I've got some paper copy of the latest POC||GTFO \o/
- I was disappointed by the fact that some talks had a pair of sexist slides; not cool.
- Beer is super-expensive in Montreal.
- Thanks to the concerned citizen in Russia who sent me a text-message because the american person in the same town than me didn't managed to send me one.
- Did you know that you can search for ROP gadgets in
- We (the r2crew and a German guy) pwned the movfuscator crackme in less than 20 minutes. I might write a blogpost about this later if some people are interested (I'll trade our solution for the flag. It was one of the best talk at REcon in my opinion; thank you very much domas, I can't wait for your next version!
- The microphones and the video worked flawlessly, we basically stepped on stage, and started to speak; congratz to the organization team for that.
- Thanks to everyone who offered me a job, although I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't get any super-shady ones this time
- Air Canada is awesome; so far, it's the best company that I have ever flew with. Don't forget to order vegan meal to be served first ;)
- I really look forward to go to more event with r00tbsd, since he always ends up in weird things
- Stop writing html by hand!
- As usual, I was amused by everyone's accent, including mine.
- Thanks to crowell for learning LaTeX (worst language ever) to write slides until the last minute with me. Since we had some (~25min) delay, we technically wrote the slides during our talk :D
- Fuck you jet lag.